We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site, Learn more.
- There are three easy ways to activate your Mastercard after you receive it.
- You can activate your Mastercard online through your card provider’s website or mobile banking app.
- Additionally, you can activate your Mastercard by calling the phone number at the back of the card and following the prompt.
The process of activating your Mastercard will largely depend on your card’s provider. Most card issuers will allow you to activate your Mastercard online, over the phone, or through their mobile banking app.
No matter which of the three activation option you choose, the process should take just a few minutes.
After getting approved for a new Mastercard credit or debit card, the next step is to wait for it to get to your mail, often between 7 -10 days.
When your Mastercard arrives in the mail, it usually comes attached with a label that has all the information you’ll need to activate it, including a phone number, card number, 3-digit CVV security code, and expiration date. You’ll need to provide these details to complete the activation.
To prevent the card from getting into the wrong hand and being used for fraudulent means, your Mastercard will remain inactive until you decide as the owner of the card to activate it. You can start using your new Mastercard once you activate it.
Here are the three most common ways of activating a Mastercard:
How to activate your Mastercard online
One of the easiest ways to activate your Mastercard is using online activation, but first – you’ll need to have an account with your provider.
If you don’t have an account yet with your card issuer, register for an account by creating a username and password and providing your personal information such as your date of birth, Social Security Number (SSN), and other details you may be asked to provide.
After creating an account with your Mastercard provider, then follow the steps below:
1. Log in to your Mastercard provider online account.
2. Click on the account that your Mastercard is linked to.
3. Find a button that says something like “Activate Your Card.”
4. After you click the “Activate Your Card” button, follow the prompt to enter your credit card information, such as your Mastercard number, expiration date, and Card Verification Value (CVV) number. The CVV is a 3-digit security code located on the back of the card.
5. You may also need to verify your ID with information like your Social Security Number and date of birth.
6. Select a PIN and click the “Activate” or “Submit” button.
Activate your Mastercard over the phone
Mastercard activation over the phone is another widely used option. Look to the back of your Mastercard for the activation phone number, typically provided on a label placed across the card.
Sometimes the phone number will be printed alongside the mailing that arrives with the card. You can choose to activate your Mastercard credit card any time of the day or night as the number is usually an automated prompt system. After you find the phone number, follow these steps below:
1. Call the activation number on the back of your card.
2. Follow the prompts and enter your Mastercard credit or debit card information, such as your card number, expiration date, and Card Verification Value (CVV) number.
3. You may be asked to provide some personal information like your Social Security Number and date of birth.
4. Follow through with the prompt and complete the activation.
Activate your Mastercard using a mobile app
Using your card provider’s mobile banking app is also one of the best and fastest ways to activate your Mastercard. Most credit card issuers let you activate your card with their mobile banking app. So, if you’d instead use the mobile app option to activate your Mastercard, here’s how to do it:
1. Download your credit card provider’s mobile app for iOS (App Store) or Android (Google Play).
2. Login with your online account username and password.
3. Click on the account that your Mastercard is linked to.
4. Follow the prompt to enter your credit card information, such as your Mastercard number, expiration date, and Card Verification Value (CVV) number.
5. You may also need to verify your ID with information like your date of birth and Social Security number.
6. Select a PIN to complete the activation process.
That’s it! You’ve successfully activated your Mastercard.
If you have issues while activating your Mastercard, you can talk with your card issuer’s customer support. They are always available to help you out once you reach out to them.
How do I know if my Mastercard is activated?
The easiest way to resolve any question about whether your Mastercard is activated or not is to call the Mastercard Assistance Center toll-free at 1-800-Mastercard (1-800-627-8372) to find out about the status of your card. If inactive, a customer representative can possibly help you reactivate it.
Why is my Mastercard not working online?
There are several reasons why your Mastercard is declined, including incorrect PIN, insufficient funds, fraud concern, inactivated card, expired card number, a broken card reader, or a blocked card.
Be sure to enter the correct card number, valid expiration date, correct CVV code (if asked), and the correct billing address. You can also call and reach out to a customer service representative for further assistance.
Can you withdraw money from a Mastercard credit card?
Many card providers allow you to withdraw money from your Mastercard credit card through a cash advance. You may be able to withdraw cash by depositing it in a bank account, using your card at an ATM, or writing a check.
Can I track my Mastercard in the mail?
How do you track Mastercard credit card before it arrives? You can’t track Mastercard shipping. But You will receive an email notification when they ship your new card. You just have to wait. It usually arrives between 5-10 business days.
Is Mastercard accepted everywhere?
Mastercard is fairly used and accepted worldwide, so you should be able to use your U.S.-issued Mastercard to make purchases or withdraw cash wherever you are.
Why was my Mastercard closed?
There can be several reasons why your Mastercard was canceled. The most common is if the credit card has not been used for a year or more, the issuer may decide to close the account. To find out the actual reason, call your Mastercard issuer’s customer service.
What number do I call if I can’t activate my Mastercard?
If you can’t activate your Mastercard credit card, you should contact your issuer’s customer service or call Mastercard Assistance Center toll-free at 1-800-Mastercard (1-800-627-8372) or contact from outside the United States at 1-636-722-7111.
How do I know if my Mastercard is activated?
You will know your Mastercard is activated once you complete the process and received a displayed confirmation message that your card is now activated. If it’s through the phone, you’ll receive a voice confirmation.
How long does it take to activate a Mastercard?
Once you have your new Mastercard credit card with you, activation will only take a few minutes. Your card will instantly be activated for use the second you complete the activation process.
If you have any issue activating your Mastercard, you can easily call your card provider’s customer service.
To activate your Mastercard credit or debit card online, go to your card issuer’s activation page and login (create an account, if necessary). Then, enter the card information such as card number and 3-digit CVV security code on the back of the card when prompted.
Through your card issuer’s mobile app, sign in with the same information as your online account. Tap your profile, then “Account Settings,” then “Activate Credit Card.” Enter your Mastercard number and 3-digit security code when prompted to activate the card.
Or call the activation number at the back of the credit card and follow the prompt. The card will be available to use for purchases immediately after.
If you come across any problem during the activation process, call your Mastercard issuer’s customer service.
Was this article helpful to you? Were you able to activate your Mastercard? Let us know in the comment section!