We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site, Learn more.
Looking at the richest people in the world can be inspiring and aspirational because their success stories often involve overcoming challenges, taking risks, and achieving extraordinary levels of wealth. By studying their backgrounds, you can gain insights into the various paths they took to reach their current positions. Understanding their upbringing, education, and early experiences can provide valuable lessons and perspectives.
Richest people in the world
- Elon Musk: $230.3 billion
- Bernard Arnault: $222.2 billion
- Jeff Bezos: $164.3 billion
- Larry Ellison: $145.5 billion
- Warren Buffett: $121.5 billion
- Bill Gates: $118.2 billion
- Mark Zuckerberg: $112.1 billion
- Larry Page: $111.1 billion
- Sergey Brin: $105.5 billion
- Steve Ballmer: $101.9 billion
Analyzing the techniques they employed can offer valuable insights into their wealth-building strategies. This could include their approach to investments, business decisions, innovation, and risk management. Examining their tendencies can shed light on their mindset, work ethic, and decision-making processes. For example, you might find that many successful individuals possess traits such as perseverance, resilience, and a willingness to learn from failures.
Studying the journeys of the richest people in the world can also serve as a source of motivation and guidance, helping you identify potential areas for personal growth and improvement.
Here are the key takeaways from the richest people in the world:
- The richest person in the world is Elon Musk: As of the time this sentence was written, Elon Musk holds the title of the richest person in the world. He is known for being the CEO and lead designer of SpaceX, the CEO and product architect of Tesla, Inc., and the founder of Neuralink and The Boring Company, among other ventures.
- Bernard Arnault briefly held the title of the richest person: Bernard Arnault, the co-founder of LVMH (Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton), a multinational luxury goods conglomerate, experienced a period where he was the richest person in the world. However, this position was temporary, and he has now dropped back to the second richest.
- Top 10 billionaires mostly made their wealth in the technology industry: The majority of the top 10 billionaires accumulated their wealth through companies operating in the technology industry. This suggests that the tech sector has played a significant role in generating enormous wealth. Examples of tech billionaires include Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon), and Mark Zuckerberg (co-founder of Facebook).
- Other billionaires made their wealth in fashion, hospitality, and finance: While technology dominates the top 10 billionaire list, there are also billionaires who made their fortunes in other industries. Some notable examples include Bernard Arnault in the fashion industry through LVMH, and individuals in sectors such as hospitality and finance.
These takeaways highlight the current rankings of the richest individuals, the industries they are associated with, and the diverse sources of their wealth. It’s worth noting that the net worth of the richest people in the world can fluctuate due to changes in the stock market and the valuation of their various companies.
Here’s an even closer look at how the top 10 richest people on Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index made their money.
1. Elon Musk
Elon Musk is a prominent figure in the business and technology world. Here are some more details about him and his ventures:
- Age: Elon Musk was born on June 28, 1971, which makes him 52 years old as of now.
- Nationality: He was born in Pretoria, South Africa, and later became a naturalized citizen of the United States.
How did Elon Musk make his billions?
Elon Musk is associated with several influential companies, including:
Tesla: He co-founded Tesla Motors (now known as Tesla, Inc.) in 2003 and served as its CEO. Tesla is known for producing electric vehicles and renewable energy solutions.
SpaceX: Elon Musk founded SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies Corp.) in 2002 with the goal of making space travel more accessible and affordable. SpaceX has achieved significant milestones in the aerospace industry, including reusable rocket technology and contracts with NASA.
The Boring Company: Musk founded The Boring Company in 2016, aiming to revolutionize tunneling and transportation infrastructure. The company focuses on building underground tunnels for transportation systems, such as the Las Vegas Convention Center Loop.
Neuralink: Elon Musk co-founded Neuralink in 2016, which aims to develop implantable brain-machine interfaces to enhance human capabilities and treat neurological disorders.
PayPal: Before his involvement with Tesla and SpaceX, Musk co-founded X.com in 1999, an online payment company that later became PayPal. PayPal was acquired by eBay in 2002.
X (formerly Twitter): As of October 2022, Elon Musk also owns X, which was previously known as Twitter. X is a popular social media platform.
Industry: Elon Musk is primarily associated with the technology and renewable energy industries. His companies have made significant contributions to electric vehicles, space exploration, tunneling, and brain-machine interfaces.
Quote: One of Elon Musk’s famous quotes is, “I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary.” This quote reflects his belief in the potential of individuals to make a positive impact and push boundaries.
Net Worth: As of the time of your question, Elon Musk’s net worth was reported to be $230.3 billion, making him one of the wealthiest individuals in the world. However, please note that net worth can fluctuate over time.
Elon Musk’s entrepreneurial journey and his involvement in various groundbreaking companies have made him a widely recognized figure in the business and technology sectors.
2. Bernard Arnault
Bernard Arnault is a prominent figure in the business world, known for his significant net worth and his role in the luxury goods industry. It’s worth noting that Bernard Arnault’s net worth can fluctuate due to changes in the stock market and the valuation of his various companies. His $222.2 billion net worth may vary over time. Here are some quick facts about him:
- Net Worth: Bernard Arnault has a net worth of $222.2 billion, making him one of the wealthiest individuals globally.
- Age and Nationality: He was born on March 5, 1949, which makes him 74 years old. Bernard Arnault is a French citizen.
How did Bernard Arnault make his billions?
Company and Industry: Arnault is the Chairman and CEO of LVMH (Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton), a multinational conglomerate specializing in luxury goods. LVMH is known for its presence in the fashion and hospitality industries.
Wealth Accumulation: Arnault made his billions through strategic investments and acquisitions in the luxury goods sector. By acquiring and managing renowned brands like Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior, he has built a powerful luxury fashion empire.
Ownership and Stake: According to CNBC, Bernard Arnault maintains a roughly 50% stake in LVMH, which has contributed to his immense wealth. Owning a significant portion of the company allows him to have a strong influence on its operations and financial performance.
Brand Portfolio: Arnault’s luxury fashion empire includes more than 70 iconic brands. Some of the notable brands under LVMH’s umbrella are Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Fendi, Givenchy, Moët & Chandon, Dom Pérignon, Sephora, and Bulgari.
Acquisitions: In January 2021, LVMH acquired Tiffany & Co. for $15.8 billion, marking one of the largest acquisitions in luxury fashion history. This acquisition further strengthened Arnault’s position in the industry.
Industry: Bernard Arnault’s business interests extend beyond fashion. He also owns luxury hotels and cruise lines, which have contributed to his overall wealth and diversified his portfolio.
Quote: One of Bernard Arnault’s notable quotes is, “Money is just a consequence. I always say to my team, don’t worry too much about profitability. If you do your job well, the profitability will come.” This quote reflects his focus on delivering value and quality in his business endeavors.
Bernard Arnault’s success can be attributed to his astute business strategies, his ability to identify lucrative opportunities in the luxury goods industry, and his focus on delivering excellence and value to his customers.
3. Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, has a remarkable net worth of $164.3 billion. It’s worth noting that Jeff Bezos’s net worth can fluctuate due to changes in the stock market and the valuation of his various companies. His $164.3 billion net worth may vary over time. Here are some additional details and quick facts about him:
- Age: Jeff Bezos is currently 59 years old.
- Nationality: He is of American nationality.
How did Jeff Bezos make his billions?
Company: Bezos is best known for founding and leading Amazon, which is one of the world’s largest e-commerce and technology companies.
Entrepreneurial Journey: At the age of 30, Bezos made a bold decision to leave his job in the finance industry to pursue his entrepreneurial dream. He founded an online bookstore called Amazon in 1994, which eventually grew to become the global e-commerce giant we know today.
Amazon’s Success: Despite initial skepticism, Bezos’ vision and relentless pursuit of customer satisfaction propelled Amazon to great heights. The company’s focus on convenience, competitive pricing, and a vast product selection revolutionized the way people shop online.
Diversification: Over the years, Amazon expanded its offerings beyond books and diversified into various product categories, including electronics, apparel, home goods, and even cloud computing services (Amazon Web Services). This diversification contributed significantly to the company’s growth and success.
Blue Origin: In recent years, Bezos has shifted some of his focus to the space industry. He founded Blue Origin, a private aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company, with the goal of advancing space exploration and colonization. This demonstrates his ambition to make a positive impact on the future of humanity.
Industry: He operates in the e-commerce and technology industry.
Quote: One of Bezos’ notable quotes is, “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.”
It is worth noting that Bezos stepped down as Amazon’s CEO in July 2021 but remains involved with the company as a top stakeholder. He continues to be a prominent figure in the business world and the space industry through his ventures like Blue Origin.
4. Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison is a prominent figure in the technology industry, particularly known as the co-founder and former CEO of Oracle Corporation. Here are some additional details about Larry Ellison and his achievements:
- Age: Larry Ellison was born on August 17, 1944, which makes him 78 years old as of now.
- Nationality: He is an American, born in New York City.
- Company: Ellison co-founded Oracle Corporation in 1977. Initially, the company focused on developing and selling database management systems, but it later expanded its product offerings to include enterprise software, cloud services, and hardware systems.
- Industry: Larry Ellison’s work has been primarily in the technology and software industry, where he has played a significant role in shaping the landscape.
- Net Worth: As of the latest information available, Larry Ellison’s net worth is estimated to be around $145.5 billion, making him one of the wealthiest individuals globally.
- Quote: “Great achievers are driven, not so much by the pursuit of success, but by the fear of failure.” This quote reflects Ellison’s mindset and approach to achieving greatness. It suggests that he believes motivation stems from a fear of failure rather than a mere desire for success.
How Did Larry Ellison Make His Billions?
Oracle Success: Ellison’s primary source of wealth comes from his involvement with Oracle Corporation. He co-founded the company and served as its CEO for several decades, leading it to become one of the world’s largest software and database companies. Under his leadership, Oracle experienced significant growth and success, which contributed to his immense wealth.
Investments in Tesla: In addition to his success with Oracle, Ellison also made notable investments in other companies. One such investment was in Tesla, the electric vehicle and clean energy company founded by Elon Musk. Ellison invested in Tesla and reportedly made substantial gains as the company’s stock price soared. He joined Tesla’s board of directors in 2018 but later stepped down from his position in June 2022. Nonetheless, he still retains a stake in Tesla.
Entrepreneurial Drive: Ellison’s entrepreneurial drive and vision, combined with his ability to identify promising opportunities, have played a crucial role in his financial success. He has demonstrated a knack for navigating the technology industry and making strategic moves that have paid off handsomely.
Larry Ellison’s journey in the technology industry, along with his business acumen and investments, has contributed to his significant wealth and influence.
5. Warren Buffett
Warren Buffett, often referred to as the Oracle of Omaha, is widely known as one of the most successful investors in history. Here are some more details about him and his achievements:
- Warren Buffett was born on August 30, 1930, making him 92 years old.
- He is a U.S. citizen and is considered one of the most prominent figures in American business and finance.
Career and company
- Buffett is the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, a multinational conglomerate holding company based in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Berkshire Hathaway owns a diverse range of businesses, including insurance companies such as Geico, as well as well-known brands like Kraft Heinz and Fruit of the Loom.
- Buffett has been at the helm of Berkshire Hathaway since 1970 and has transformed it into a highly successful and profitable company.
How did Warren Buffett make his billions?
- Buffett’s investment strategy is centered around value investing and long-term wealth creation.
- He has consistently outperformed the market over many decades, earning him the reputation of being one of the greatest investors of all time.
- Buffett has famously said, “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago,” emphasizing the importance of long-term investing.
Net worth and philanthropy
- As of the latest available data, Warren Buffett’s net worth is estimated to be around $121.5 billion.
- Despite his immense wealth, Buffett has committed to donating the majority of his fortune to philanthropic causes.
- He has pledged to give away 99% of his wealth to charitable foundations during his lifetime and had already donated approximately $48 billion as of mid-2022.
- In addition to his philanthropic efforts, Buffett is known for his frugal lifestyle. He continues to live in the same modest house in Omaha, Nebraska, which he purchased in 1958 for $31,500.
These are just some key details about Warren Buffett and his remarkable career as an investor and philanthropist.
6. Bill Gates
Bill Gates is widely known as one of the most successful entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world. Here are some more details about his life, career, and achievements:
Early Life and Education:
- Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington, USA.
- He developed an early interest in computer programming and began learning programming languages at a young age.
- Gates attended Lakeside School, where he was first introduced to computers and met his future business partner, Paul Allen.
- In 1975, Gates and Allen co-founded Microsoft, a software company that would revolutionize the personal computer industry.
- Their first major success came with the development of the MS-DOS operating system, which became the foundation for Microsoft’s future success.
- Gates played a vital role in shaping Microsoft’s business strategies, focusing on licensing software to computer manufacturers and establishing partnerships.
Microsoft’s Success and Expansion:
- Under Gates’ leadership, Microsoft became the dominant force in the computer software industry.
- The company’s flagship product, Windows, revolutionized the way people interacted with computers and became the world’s most widely used operating system.
- Microsoft also diversified its products and services, expanding into areas such as office productivity software (Microsoft Office) and gaming (Xbox).
Transition to Philanthropy:
- In 2000, Gates stepped down as CEO of Microsoft to focus on his philanthropic endeavors.
- He and his then-wife, Melinda Gates, established the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is one of the world’s largest charitable foundations.
- The foundation focuses on addressing global issues such as poverty, healthcare, and education, and has made significant contributions to various causes worldwide.
Net Worth and Influence:
- As of 2021, Bill Gates has a net worth of $118.2 billion, making him one of the wealthiest individuals on the planet.
- Gates has used his wealth and influence to support scientific research, promote education, and tackle global challenges.
- He has also been involved in various initiatives aimed at improving access to technology and healthcare in developing countries.
- One of Bill Gates’ famous quotes is: “Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.” This quote reflects his belief in continuous learning and the importance of staying humble even in the face of success.
Overall, Bill Gates’ contributions to the technology industry and his philanthropic efforts have had a significant impact on the world. He is recognized as a visionary leader, a successful entrepreneur, and a dedicated philanthropist.
7. Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg is a prominent figure in the technology industry and is widely known for co-founding Facebook, one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. Here are some more details about Mark Zuckerberg and his achievements:
- Age: Mark Zuckerberg was born on May 14, 1984, which makes him currently 39 years old.
- Nationality: He is an American citizen.
- Company: Mark Zuckerberg is currently associated with Meta, formerly known as Facebook, Inc. Meta is a conglomerate that oversees various products and services, including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and the virtual reality headset Meta Quest.
- Industry: Mark Zuckerberg operates in the technology industry, specifically focusing on social media and communication platforms.
- Quote: One of Mark Zuckerberg’s famous quotes is, “In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.” This quote reflects his belief in the importance of embracing change and being willing to take risks in the fast-paced tech industry.
How Mark Zuckerberg made his billions:
- Facebook Creation: Mark Zuckerberg co-founded Facebook in 2004 while he was a student at Harvard University. Initially, Facebook was designed as a platform for Harvard students to connect and share information. However, it quickly expanded to other universities and eventually became available to the general public. Today, Facebook has over 2 billion active daily users, making it one of the most popular social media platforms globally.
- Expansion and Acquisitions: Over the years, Facebook expanded its reach by acquiring other companies. Notable acquisitions include Instagram, a photo-sharing platform, and WhatsApp, a popular messaging app. These acquisitions helped Facebook broaden its user base and strengthen its position in the social media and communication market.
- Investment from Microsoft and Digital Sky Technologies: To support its growth, Facebook received investments from various sources. Microsoft acquired a 1.6% stake in Facebook in 2007 for $240 million, which helped validate the company’s potential. Later, Digital Sky Technologies (now known as Mail.ru Group) invested $200 million for a 1.96% share in Facebook. These investments provided Facebook with the necessary capital to expand its operations.
- As of the latest available data, Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth is estimated to be $112.1 billion. His wealth primarily stems from his significant ownership stake in Meta Platforms (formerly Facebook, Inc.) and its various subsidiaries.
- It’s worth noting that net worth can fluctuate based on various factors such as stock prices, company performance, and market conditions.
Please note that the information provided here is based on available sources and may not reflect the most recent developments or changes in Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth.
8. Larry Page
Larry Page, the co-founder of Google, has amassed a significant net worth of $111.1 billion. Here are some additional details about Larry Page and his accomplishments:
- Age: Larry Page is currently 50 years old.
- Nationality: He is a citizen of the United States of America.
- Company: Larry Page co-founded Google in 1998, which has become one of the most influential technology companies in the world.
- Industry: Google operates in the fields of technology and advertising, providing various products and services to millions of users worldwide.
- Quote: One of Larry Page’s notable quotes is, “Good ideas are always crazy until they’re not,” which reflects his belief in the power of innovative and unconventional thinking.
How did Larry Page make his billions?
- Co-founding Google: Larry Page, along with Sergey Brin, created Google as a search engine in 1998. Under his leadership, Google became a dominant force in the technology industry.
- CEO of Google: Page served as the CEO of Google from 1998 to 2001 and then again from 2011 to 2015. During his tenure, he played a pivotal role in the company’s growth and success.
- Majority shareholder and board member: Even though Larry Page stepped down as CEO, he remains a board member of Alphabet Inc., Google’s parent company. He is also a majority shareholder, which contributes to his net worth.
- Expansion of Google’s offerings: Google expanded its product portfolio beyond search, venturing into various fields such as GPS mapping, translation services, and advertising platforms. These expansions, including the acquisition of companies like YouTube, have contributed to Google’s massive ad revenue.
- Advertising revenue: Google’s advertising platform is one of the largest in the world, generating substantial revenue. In 2022 alone, Google generated $279.8 billion in total ad revenue.
Larry Page’s entrepreneurial vision and leadership have played a significant role in Google’s success and the subsequent accumulation of his substantial net worth.
9. Sergey Brin
Sergey Brin is a prominent figure in the technology industry, best known as the co-founder of Google. Here are some more details about Sergey Brin and his journey to becoming one of the richest people in the world:
- Net Worth: Sergey Brin has a net worth of $105.5 billion, according to the latest estimates.
- Age and Nationality: He was born on August 21, 1973, which makes him 49 years old as of now. Sergey Brin was born in Moscow, Russia, and later moved to the United States with his family when he was six years old. He holds dual citizenship in the United States and Russia.
- Co-founder of Google: Sergey Brin, along with Larry Page, co-founded Google while they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University. They developed a revolutionary search engine algorithm called PageRank, which formed the basis of Google’s search technology.
- Role at Google: Throughout his career, Sergey Brin has held various roles at Google. He served as the President of Technology, overseeing Google’s technical infrastructure and leading many of its key projects. In recent years, he has transitioned to a more advisory role as a board member of Alphabet Inc., Google’s parent company.
- Industry and Impact: Sergey Brin’s impact on the technology industry is immense. Google’s search engine revolutionized the way people access information on the internet, and the company has expanded into numerous other areas, including advertising, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence. Google has become one of the most influential and valuable technology companies in the world.
- Quote: One of Sergey Brin’s notable quotes is, “Solving big problems is easier than solving little problems.” This reflects his belief in tackling significant challenges and making a meaningful impact through innovation.
- Wealth Management: In addition to his involvement with Google, Sergey Brin has also engaged in other ventures to manage and grow his wealth. He established Bayshore Capital Management, a wealth management firm based in Singapore. This move allows him to take advantage of favorable tax legislation in the region and explore investment opportunities.
Sergey Brin’s journey from co-founding Google to becoming one of the richest individuals in the world is a testament to his entrepreneurial spirit, technological innovation, and business acumen.
10. Steve Ballmer
Steve Ballmer is a prominent figure in the technology industry and has made a significant impact both as the former CEO of Microsoft and as a successful investor. Here are some more details about him:
- Age: Steve Ballmer was born on March 24, 1956, which makes him 67 years old.
- Nationality: He is an American.
Career and Achievements:
- Company: Ballmer is most famously associated with Microsoft, one of the world’s leading technology companies. He joined Microsoft in 1980 and served in various roles before becoming the CEO in 2000.
- CEO of Microsoft: As the CEO, Ballmer played a crucial role in shaping the company’s strategy and leading it through significant milestones, including the launch of Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8, as well as the acquisition of Skype.
- Microsoft Ownership: Ballmer is the largest individual shareholder of Microsoft, holding approximately 4% of the company’s shares.
- Los Angeles Clippers: In addition to his involvement with Microsoft, Ballmer made headlines when he purchased the Los Angeles Clippers professional basketball team in 2014. The deal was valued at $2 billion.
- Steve Ballmer’s net worth is estimated to be $101.9 billion, making him one of the wealthiest individuals globally.
- His wealth is primarily attributed to his ownership stake in Microsoft, as well as other investments and business ventures.
- Steve Ballmer is known for his quote, “Great companies in the way they work, start with great leaders.” This quote reflects his belief in the importance of strong leadership in driving the success of organizations.
Overall, Steve Ballmer’s career has been marked by his influential role at Microsoft and his achievements as a technology leader and investor.
Who is the No. 1 richest person in the world?
The current No. 1 richest person in the world is Elon Musk. According to Forbes’ Real-Time Billionaires List, as of today, his net worth is $231.0 billion. Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX.
How many billionaires are there in the world?
According to Forbes, there are over 2,600 billionaires in the world. Out of these, 735 billionaires are from the United States.
How many trillionaires are there?
As of now, there are no known trillionaires in the world. The closest person to reaching that milestone is Elon Musk, with a net worth of $230.3 billion. While this is an enormous amount of money, it falls significantly short of the trillion-dollar mark. It’s worth mentioning that the number of billionaires has been increasing in recent years, but trillionaires remain non-existent at present.
Who is the richest person in Africa?
The richest person in Africa is Aliko Dangote. He has held this title for 12 consecutive years. Aliko Dangote is the President of the Dangote Group, a pan-African conglomerate. Despite economic challenges that have affected the wealth of many billionaires worldwide, Dangote continues to be the wealthiest individual in Africa. He is currently worth $10.5 billion
Who is the richest person in Asia?
According to Forbes’ Real-Time Billionaires List, as of June 19, the richest person in Asia is Mukesh Ambani. He has a net worth of $91.4 billion. Mukesh Ambani is the chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, which is a conglomerate that operates in various sectors including petrochemicals, textiles, and telecommunications.
Who is the richest person in Latin America?
Carlos Slim is the richest person in Latin America. He is a Mexican business magnate, investor, and philanthropist. As of 2023, he ranks twelve on the list of the world’s richest people and number one in Latin America. The 83-year-old Mexican has a net worth of $93 billion.
Who is the richest person in Europe?
According to real-time information, Europe is indeed home to one of the world’s richest individuals. Bernard Arnault, the chief of LVMH, holds the position of the second richest person globally. With a fortune of $222.2 billion, he is ranked behind the number one richest person, Elon Musk.
The bottom line
- Identifying the wealth-building traits of successful individuals can help you develop a similar mindset and approach in your own endeavors. This might involve cultivating qualities like discipline, strategic thinking, and long-term planning.
- Understanding the areas in which they have invested can provide valuable insights into potential opportunities for growth and diversification. This could involve exploring sectors such as technology, real estate, finance, or entrepreneurship.
- Applying their business acumen to your everyday life means adopting some of the strategies and principles they have used to build wealth. This could include developing financial literacy, making informed investment decisions, seeking mentorship, and continuously learning and adapting to changing circumstances.
- While it’s important to customize your approach based on your own goals and circumstances, learning from the experiences of successful individuals can help you navigate challenges and make informed decisions in your personal and professional life.
Remember, while it can be helpful to learn from the strategies and experiences of successful individuals, it’s important to remain true to your own values and goals. Adapt their insights to your unique situation and always prioritize ethical and responsible practices.