We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site, Learn more.
If you’re looking for new ways to make money, then gift card exchange at Coinstar kiosks is worth looking into.
The yellow Coinstar gift card exchange kiosks, known for converting unwanted gift cards into cash, are no longer available.
However, the traditional green Coinstar kiosks can still be found in nearby stores. These machines, established in 1992, enable you to convert loose change into cash or eGift cards.
Additionally, apart from coin exchange, Coinstar kiosks offer various intriguing services.
What is Coinstar?
Coinstar operates kiosks found nationwide in the United States. These kiosks serve multiple purposes:
- Coin counting: They provide a convenient way to count loose change without requiring you to sort coins by denomination.
- Cash exchange: You can convert your coins into paper money vouchers.
- eGift cards: Users have the option to select an electronic gift card from a variety of retailers.
- Charitable donations: Coinstar allows you to donate your coins to various nonprofit charity partners they collaborate with.
Coinstar gift card exchange & charity options
- Amazon gift card
- Apple card
- Home Depot
Food-Drink & Travel:
- Krispy Kreme
- Chuck E Cheese
- American Red Cross
- Feeding America
- Children’s Miracle Network
There are two other additional options: buying Bitcoin with cash or loading cash onto your Amazon balance — this method of adding funds to your Amazon balance serves as a great alternative for individuals without credit cards or those who choose not to connect their debit or credit cards online.
Can you exchange gift cards for cash at Coinstar?
Coinstar used to allow customers to exchange gift cards for cash through its Gift Card Exchange kiosks, but this option is no longer available. Instead, you can use the traditional green Coinstar kiosks to convert spare change into an eGift card.
However, if you have unwanted or soon-to-expire gift cards and wish to explore alternative options to either make or save money, there are several other worthwhile options we’ll discuss in this article.
How does Coinstar work?
Coinstar operates through various services offered by their kiosks:
- Cash for coins: Pour loose coins into the tray, guide them into the slot by lifting the handle, and receive a paper voucher to redeem at the store’s cashier. Clean and dry your coins before using the machine.
- eGift Cards: Choose the eGift card option on the screen, select a retailer, insert coins, and get a paper eGift card with a unique code. Use it for in-store or online shopping.
- Charitable donation: Donate any amount of coins to listed charities. Receipts are provided for tax deductions.
- Bitcoin purchase: To buy Bitcoin, select the option on the screen, review transaction terms, accept them, enter your phone number, insert cash, and redeem the voucher at coinme.com/redeem.
- Amazon Cash Balance: Select “Cash Services” on the screen, input your Amazon-connected phone number, and add at least $5 (up to $500) into the kiosk to top up your Amazon balance.
What is the fee for Coinstar?
The fee for using a Coinstar kiosk typically stands at 11.9% when exchanging coins for a cash voucher. Though rates might differ by location, the average fee remains below 12%.
Considering this rather high fee, it might be worthwhile to explore alternatives, such as using your local bank if they accept rolled coins, especially when dealing with substantial sums.
Keep in mind, for every $100 exchanged, $11.90 is deducted as a fee, making it a matter of personal preference whether to avoid the hassle of rolling coins.
How can I find a Coinstar kiosk near me?
To locate a Coinstar kiosk nearby, follow these steps:
- Go to the Coinstar website.
- Input your address on the designated page to discover the nearest kiosk to your location.
- For those in the United States, explore the map to view various Coinstar kiosks in your local area. Each kiosk displays the services it offers.
- Unfortunately, in Canada, Ireland, Germany, Italy, France, Japan, and Spain, the services available are limited to cash counting.
- However, the United Kingdom presents both cash counting and the option to “Donate to charity” at select kiosks.
Are there any gift card exchange kiosks near me?
Trying to find a nearby gift card exchange kiosk is easy. Just type ‘Gift Card Exchange Kiosks Near Me’ into Google. That will help you see if there are any of these kiosks located in stores close to where you are.
If you want to swap your unused gift cards for cash, you have a few options. You can do this at online sites or at gift card exchange kiosks found in stores. However, remember that these options might not be available everywhere.
At Walmart, they’ve got special gift card exchange kiosks where you can trade your unused gift cards for a Walmart e-gift card. Coinstar, known for its green kiosks that accept coins, has yellow Coinstar Exchange kiosks specifically designed for gift card exchanges.
Other places like Walgreens, Target, CVS, Giftcard Bin (available in certain regions), Kroger/Smith’s, Albertson’s, Safeway, and Giant might also have these exchange kiosks. It’s worth noting that the availability of these kiosks can vary from place to place. So, it’s a good idea to call ahead or check online to confirm if the store near you has one.
Which gift cards does Coinstar exchange accept?
Coinstar Exchange kiosks are designed to accept gift cards from an extensive range of over 150 popular retailers. These include well-known brands such as Home Depot, Amazon, Starbucks, and numerous others.
However, it’s essential to note that Coinstar Exchange stipulates a minimum balance requirement of $20 on the gift card for it to be eligible for exchange through their kiosks.
Can you exchange a gift card for cash at Walmart?
Exchanging a gift card for cash at Walmart is no longer possible as it once was. Formerly, Walmart partnered with CardCash, enabling customers to exchange gift cards from over 200 retailers for cash. However, this option is no longer available at Walmart.
Presently, Walmart’s policy does not facilitate cash exchanges or refunds for gift cards, except in states where cash refunds are mandated by law. Therefore, if you’re seeking to convert your Walmart gift card into cash, Walmart does not currently offer this service.
Although the Coinstar Gift Card Exchange kiosks, which were once an alternative, are no longer available, there are other avenues to explore for converting Walmart gift cards into cash.
How do you skip Coinstar fees when depositing your coins?
To avoid Coinstar fees when depositing coins, choose the eGift card option instead of cash vouchers before putting your change into the machine. By selecting the eGift card, you won’t incur any Coinstar fees as the exchange rate for their gift card becomes zero.
Both eGift cards and charitable donations don’t have fees, allowing you to save a significant amount of money by opting for a gift card from your preferred store. Additionally, in most places, you can utilize their change counting service for free.
Can you exchange gift cards for a different one?
Once you’ve chosen and received your eGift card voucher, it’s not possible to swap it for a different one or get a refund. Coinstar considers the transaction as final once the eGift card voucher has been issued.
How do I use a gift card exchange kiosk?
To use a gift card exchange kiosk:
- Ensure your gift card balance meets the minimum requirement (typically $20).
- Start by scanning or swiping the gift card at the kiosk. The screen will display the balance along with the associated fee.
- Confirm by selecting “accept offer.” The fee will be deducted, and you’ll receive the remaining balance after the deduction.
- Note that the fee amount can differ based on location and the kiosk operator. You have the option to decline the offer and retain the original gift card balance if the fee seems excessive.
- Verify your identity, usually by entering your driver’s license details and email address.
- Insert the gift card into the kiosk as prompted.
- A voucher will be printed, which you can redeem for cash at the customer service counter.
Best online Coinstar alternatives?
Looking for alternatives to Coinstar for exchanging gift cards online? Gift Card Granny might not be the best choice as they no longer buy or sell gift cards from individuals. They’ve also stopped listing businesses that do so. However, there are other options available:
Raise allows you to buy and sell gift cards, offering up to 85% of your card’s balance. Although their exchange percentage might not be the highest, they provide a one-year money-back guarantee from the purchase date.
CardCash is another great choice with faster payouts (within 1-2 business days) and offers up to 92% of the card’s value.
Both Raise and CardCash accept gift cards from various retailers such as Walmart, Starbucks, Costco, Best Buy, and Target. For instance, CardCash might offer up to a certain percentage, say 85%, for a $100 Walmart gift card.
GiftCash facilitates the exchange of gift cards, typically charging a fee ranging from 12 to 13%. However, this fee may vary based on the demand for your specific gift card. Much like Coinstar Exchange, you have the option to accept the offered rate or opt out of the sale entirely.
To use GiftCash, you must either electronically submit your gift cards or send them via mail. Upon completion of the transaction, they pay you through PayPal or by issuing a check.
Regular purchases of gift cards through GiftCash earn you points, which can later be redeemed for complimentary gift cards.
Prepaid2Cash operates as a mobile application enabling users to swiftly scan their gift cards, promptly transferring the details onto the app.
Payments are conveniently processed through direct deposit, with their website indicating a potential turnaround time of as little as 15 minutes, positioning it as one of the quicker platforms for receiving payments.
GameFlip stands out among online gift card buyers by not only purchasing and selling gift cards but also dealing in a wide array of digital goods like NFTs, in-game items, video games, movies, collectibles, and gaming accessories. When selling a gift card, you set your price, adjusting the percentage depending on its popularity to attract potential buyers.
However, GameFlip is less flexible compared to other platforms regarding payment options. When a gift card is sold, the money lands in your GameFlip wallet. From there, you’re able to transfer your funds to select accounts such as Payoneer, Wise, Skrill, or Bitcoin, albeit with a withdrawal fee ranging from $1 to $2.
CardSell offers a user-friendly website allowing individuals to exchange their gift cards for cash. Upon verifying the card and approving the transaction, funds are swiftly transferred to your PayPal account within 48 hours.
ClipKard is a platform where you can sell your unused gift cards. They offer a rate for your card, giving you the choice to accept or decline it. If you accept the rate, you have the option to receive payment through PayPal or by having a check sent to you via mail.
It’s crucial to note that when you sell your gift card online, the payment process isn’t immediate. Every sale requires verification before the payment is released. If you opt for a check payment, it might take several days to a few weeks to receive it. On the other hand, PayPal payments usually arrive within 24 to 48 hours.
Exchange gift cards for United Miles
Convert your unused gift cards into United MileagePlus award miles effortlessly. If you relish traveling, this seamless exchange allows you to turn those neglected gift cards into valuable miles for your adventures.
Here’s how it works: they’ll transform the value of your gift cards into United MileagePlus miles, giving you the chance to explore new destinations or upgrade your travel experiences.
What makes this option appealing:
- No Limit: You’re not restricted by the number of gift cards you can exchange, enabling you to maximize your rewards.
- Convenience: No need for the hassle of mailing in your gift cards; the process is streamlined and hassle-free.
- Variety: Choose from an extensive list of eligible retailers, giving you flexibility in using various gift cards.
- Preview Miles: Gain the opportunity to see the miles you’ll receive before finalizing the transaction, ensuring transparency and informed decision-making.
This exchange presents a convenient and flexible way to transform your unused gift cards into valuable miles, opening up a world of travel possibilities with United Airlines.
Will pawn shops buy gift cards?
Local pawn shops often accept gift cards in exchange for cash. However, the amount you receive in cash may be less than the card’s actual value, sometimes as low as 50%.
Despite the lower payout, pawn shops provide a swift solution for obtaining quick cash when needed urgently.
Where can I sell gift cards for instant payment?
Coinstar Exchange kiosks offer the quickest option for selling gift cards and getting instant payment. Upon selling your gift card at a kiosk, you’ll receive a voucher that can be immediately redeemed at the store’s customer service. This process is faster than online methods.
When selling gift cards online, the speed of payment varies. PayPal or direct deposit usually take around 24 to 48 hours, while receiving a check via mail may take longer. However, some online services like Prepaid2Cash claim payment in as little as 15 minutes, though this timing depends on factors such as the card, its balance, and the verification process.
Moreover, selling on eBay and Facebook Marketplace can also provide instant payment depending on how quickly your card sells. These platforms ensure secure payment methods for both buyers and sellers, ensuring safety throughout the transaction.
Other ways to unload unwanted gift cards?
Explore various methods to get rid of unwanted gift cards:
- Sell Online: Utilize platforms like eBay to sell your gift cards to interested buyers.
- List on Multiple Platforms: Extend your reach by listing your cards on platforms such as Craigslist, Varagesale, and Kijiji.
- Regifting: Consider giving the unwanted cards to friends or family who might find value in them.
- Trade with Acquaintances: Swap your cards with someone who might have a different card they’re willing to exchange.
- Charitable Donation: Support local charities by donating your unwanted gift cards to help others in need.
- Convert for Goods: Use the cards to buy items that you can use, donate, or sell either online or in person.
The bottom line
The Coinstar Gift Card Exchange kiosk isn’t available anymore. But you can still use regular Coinstar kiosks. These kiosks let you count coins for free, exchange them for cash vouchers, donate, or get fee-free eGift cards.
If you have unused gift cards, check out Raise and CardCash to sell them. And if you’re into traveling, think about swapping your gift cards for United Miles.