We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site, Learn more.
You are expecting your Amazon order to arrive and then you received a notification that the package has been delivered, but you can’t find the package. What if your Amazon package has been sent to the wrong address? And why will Amazon send my package to the wrong address you may ask? Read on to know why and what to do next!
Reasons why amazon packages get delivered to the wrong address
The first reason is that the customer may have entered the wrong address when they were placing their order. This is a common mistake that can happen when people are rushing and not paying close attention to the details. Maybe the exact apartment number was missing on the package or the street direction wasn’t listed, like S. Main Street vs. N. Main Street.
Another reason is that the package may have been mislabeled by the Amazon warehouse. This can happen if the label gets damaged or if the warehouse workers make a mistake when packing the box.
Lastly, the package could have been delivered to the wrong address by the Amazon Driver when dropping off a large load of packages in your neighborhood. This is beyond the control of the customer, but it can still happen.
What to do if Amazon delivered to the wrong address
If you are expecting a package that should have been delivered or you think Amazon may have delivered your package to the wrong address, the first thing to do is wait up to 48 hours more to see if your package will arrive. According to Amazon, there is a possibility for your tracking information to show that your package was delivered up to 48 hours before arrival.
If you still haven’t received your package after 48 hours, contact Amazon customer service at 1 (888) 280-4331 to report the issue or visit the customer service center and then select “A delivery, order or return.” Select the missing item, and then select “Says delivered, but it’s not here” on the right side.
Apart from getting in touch with Amazon, here are other tips you can try:
- Check with your neighbors to see whether they received a package addressed to you.
- Post on neighborhood-focused apps like NextDoor to see if anyone got a package addressed to you.
- Check the outside of your home to see whether it was placed next to any other doors or to the side.
- If your Amazon order was sold and shipped by a third-party seller, you may need to contact the seller directly for assistance.
- If you didn’t receive your shipment from Amazon delivery service, contact the carrier that was supposed to deliver your package. Amazon may handle the majority of its shipping, but it still relies on FedEx, UPS, and USPS to help with the massive volume. The package could have been delivered to the wrong address by the postal service. This is beyond the control of Amazon and the customer, but it can still happen. If you have the tracking number for your package, you can use the carrier’s website to track its progress. If the package is late or lost, the carrier should be able to help you with what to do next.
- If you see a package theft happen on a home surveillance camera, you should file a police report immediately. Some thieves can go as far as dressing to look like Amazon workers to steal packages. By filing a police report, you can help to bring these criminals to justice and prevent them from victimizing other innocent people.
On the other hand, if you receive a package that was meant for someone else, the best thing to do is to contact Amazon and let them know. They will be able to send the package to the correct address.
Can I request a refund on lost Amazon packages?
Yes, you can request a refund if you were expecting an Amazon package but haven’t received it or it was delivered to the wrong address. You can also get a replacement at no extra cost instead of a refund. To request a refund from Amazon for a lost package:
- Log into your Amazon Account
- Select “Orders”
- Select the order with the missing package
- Click on “Problem With Order”
- Select “Request a Refund”
- Under the drop-down, choose a reason for a refund with an explanation that your package was missing, and possibly delivered to the wrong address.
- Click “Submit.” Amazon will later get back to you on the refund request.
Are Amazon drivers accountable for wrongful deliveries?
Apart from Amazon prime deliveries which are generally fulfilled by drivers employed directly by Amazon. The majority of Amazon delivery drivers don’t work for Amazon directly and cannot be held accountable by Amazon for packages wrongly delivered.
So why doesn’t Amazon do more to ensure that packages are delivered properly? Well, it’s complicated. Amazon contracts with different delivery companies for immense volume, and it’s up to those companies to make sure that packages are delivered on time and to the right address. Amazon does provide some guidelines and standards for these companies to follow, but it’s ultimately up to the delivery companies to make sure they’re met.
This system isn’t perfect, but it does work most of the time. And when it doesn’t, it’s usually because of something beyond Amazon’s control, like bad weather or a driver getting lost.
However, if Amazon received a delivery error report, they will notify their delivery partners, and if they know the driver responsible for the delivery, they may decide to hold the driver accountable.
Can I keep a package sent to my address that I didn’t order?
You can keep packages delivered to your house by mistake. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), you aren’t legally required to return packages that were delivered to you in error.
However, It is advised for a recipient who receives an Amazon package they did not order to notify Amazon of the error by getting in touch with customer support.
While there may be no consequences for holding onto the package, Amazon may get a tracking warning indicating the package was misdelivered, and a delivery driver may visit the address to inquire about the package.
How do I return a package I didn’t order to Amazon?
If you received a package from Amazon by mistake, you can alert Amazon through their customer service letting them know about the situation and giving them the recipient name, address, and tracking number on the package. By doing this, you can help to ensure that the package is delivered to the correct address.
Amazon will track the order, and then arrange for a delivery person to pick up the package from your address and deliver it to the proper address.
Bottom line: Amazon delivered to wrong address
If your package is sent to the wrong address, don’t worry! You can contact Amazon customer service by calling 1-877-586-3230, and they will assist you in recovering your package. If they are unable to find your package, they will either provide a refund or ship a replacement to you.
We hope you find this post on “What to do when Amazon delivers to the wrong address” helpful. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section. You can also visit our homepage for all the latest articles.