We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site, Learn more.
U-Haul won’t charge you for canceling, but they do ask for a heads-up at least 24 hours before your reservation. If U-Haul cancels because of something they did wrong, they’ll refund your money and throw in an extra $50 as a “Reservation Guarantee” payment.
How does U-Haul work?
U-Haul operates by offering rental trucks for people to move their belongings. You pay them, and in return, they provide you with a truck for a specific duration. It’s a straightforward exchange: you get to use their trucks for transporting your items, and they charge you for that service.
What are the requirements to rent a U-Haul?
To rent a U-Haul, here are the straightforward criteria:
- Age Requirement: You need to be at least 18 years old.
- Valid Driver’s License: You must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Return Assurance: You’re required to offer two forms of assurance that the rented equipment will be returned as scheduled and in good shape.
U-Haul cancellation fees and process
When it comes to canceling a U-Haul rental, there’s usually no fee involved. You can easily cancel your truck or trailer rental either online or by phone, and you’ll get your money back for the rental.
They do ask that you give them at least a day’s notice if you’re canceling, just as a polite gesture. But even if you cancel within 24 hours of your reservation, U-Haul won’t hit you with any extra charges.
U-Haul Cancellation process
To cancel your U-Haul reservation online, follow these steps:
- Log in to your U-Haul account and access your reservations.
- Find your upcoming reservation and click on it.
- Locate the “Cancel My Reservation” button and click it.
- Confirm your cancellation by clicking the “Confirm Cancellation” button.
If you prefer to cancel by phone, contact U-Haul’s customer service department at (800) 468-4285 or reach out to your designated pick-up location.
U-Haul reservation number
The U-Haul reservation system allows you to modify your delivery date, include additional containers, and opt for SafeStor Mobile coverage. If you encounter any difficulties making these changes online, you can contact a representative at 1-877-GO-UHAUL, who will help you with the adjustments to your order.
What if U-Haul cancels the reservation?
If U-Haul cancels your reservation, it might happen without you asking for it. This could occur because they might not have enough trucks or available inventory at that location. They’ll contact you a day before to confirm your booking, but if they end up canceling it, you’ll get your money back.
Also, if you confirm a reservation but there’s no truck available when you’re supposed to pick it up, not only will you get a refund, but U-Haul will also give you an extra $50 as part of their “Reservation Guarantee.”
What is U-Haul’s reservation guarantee?
U-Haul’s reservation guarantee promises $50 compensation if the truck you reserved isn’t ready or available on your moving day. However, it’s important to note that this guarantee doesn’t ensure the exact truck you requested or the pickup location you planned for.
They might provide a different truck or require you to pick it up elsewhere. Essentially, it’s a $50 reimbursement meant to help if things don’t go as planned.
Can my friend drive the U-Haul truck?
If you’re traveling with someone who also has a valid driver’s license, they can definitely take their turn driving the U-Haul truck. It’s important to note that whoever signed the rental contract is the one responsible if anything happens, like an accident.
So, while sharing driving duties is fine, it’s essential to trust the person since the contract signer holds the responsibility for any damages or issues that might occur during the rental period. In essence, it’s a good idea to pick friends or family members you trust when considering sharing the driving responsibilities.
How do I make a U-Haul reservation online?
Making a U-Haul reservation online is a straightforward process. Start by visiting the U-Haul website and follow these steps:
- Select Details: Enter the pickup date, time, and location where you’ll need the truck. Then, specify the drop-off date, time, and location.
- Choose Truck Size: Decide on the truck size suitable for your needs. U-Haul offers various sizes, so pick one that accommodates your belongings.
- Reservation Confirmation: Once you’ve input all the necessary information, review your reservation details and confirm. You’ll likely need to provide some personal information and payment details to secure the reservation.
- Confirmation Email: After completing the reservation process, you’ll receive a confirmation email containing all the reservation details and any additional steps or information you might need.
Remember, having the essential details like pickup and drop-off locations, dates, times, and the truck size you require handy will make the online reservation process quick and hassle-free.
Do I need a credit card to rent U-Haul equipment?
To rent U-Haul equipment, you can reserve it online using a credit or debit card, but you can pay with cash when you get the equipment. U-Haul accepts various credit cards like American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and Visa. So, while a card is necessary for the reservation, cash works when you pick up the equipment.
How far can I move with U-Haul?
U-Haul provides two types of moving services: local and long-distance.
For local moves, you’ll pick up and return the rental truck at the same location. This is suitable for shorter distances within the same area or city.
On the other hand, for long-distance moves, U-Haul offers one-way rentals. This means you pick up the truck at one location and drop it off at another. It’s ideal when you’re moving to a different city or a considerable distance away.
How much does U-Haul cost?
The cost of renting a U-Haul varies based on the truck size and the distance you’re traveling. For local moves within 50 miles, prices range from $90 to $110 per day depending on the truck size. For longer distances of around 1,000 miles, the cost increases significantly, ranging from $495 to $1040 per day for different truck sizes. These prices don’t include additional fees, taxes, or insurance. Here’s a breakdown:
Local Move (Within 50 miles):
- 10 ft. truck: $90
- 15 ft. truck: $100
- 17 ft. truck: $110
- 20 ft. truck: $110
- 26 ft. truck: $110
Long-Distance Move (Around 1,000 miles):
- 10 ft. truck: $495
- 15 ft. truck: $520
- 20 ft. truck: $780
- 26 ft. truck: $1040
Remember, these rates are approximate and can vary based on factors like location, demand, and additional services or options you might choose.
U-Haul has low and steady prices due to its extensive truck availability spread across numerous locations. However, it’s important to note that the initial U-Haul quote doesn’t cover travel expenses such as fuel, meals, or accommodation. This might not significantly impact short-distance moves, but for longer trips, these additional costs can accumulate and significantly increase the overall expenses.
How much is U-Haul per mile?
U-Haul charges around $1.39 per mile for shorter local moves covering distances of about 50 miles. For longer trips spanning 1,000 miles, the cost typically drops to roughly $0.80 per mile.
U-Haul late fees
U-Haul applies fees when you return their rental vehicles or equipment after the agreed-upon time. For trucks, there’s a $40 late fee for each extra day, starting right after the scheduled return time. So, if you were supposed to return the truck by 10 a.m. on Thursday and return it at 10:01 a.m., you’d be charged an extra $40.
For trailers and towing devices, the charge is $20 per day if they’re returned late. It’s important to inquire about a possible grace period because some U-Haul locations might allow a little extra time beyond the agreed return time, but the exact duration isn’t specified. This grace period can account for situations like heavy traffic or long lines.
What time does U-Haul open?
U-Haul Company stores typically open at 9 a.m. and close at 5 p.m. However, these hours may differ for independent dealers who run additional businesses, such as hardware or auto repair shops.
The operational hours for independent dealers can vary widely, so it’s recommended to check with them directly for their specific opening and closing times.
Overall, U-Haul company stores generally operate from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Fridays, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays, but independent dealers may have different schedules.
Does U-Haul offer moving labor services?
U-Haul does provide moving help through their Moving Help® service. It’s not considered a full-service moving labor company, offering limited services like packing, loading, and unloading. However, it excels in one aspect. It’s important to note that U-Haul’s prices have significantly risen over time. At $160 per hour, their Moving Help service is nearly as pricey as the average cost of top moving labor companies.
What other services does U-Haul offer?
U-Haul offers a range of services besides renting moving trucks and providing hourly labor. Here are some additional services they provide:
- Moving Supplies: They offer various moving supplies like boxes, packing materials, and other essentials needed for relocation.
- Propane and Accessories: U-Haul provides propane refills and accessories required for various purposes.
- Self-Storage Units: They offer storage spaces for individuals needing to store belongings temporarily or long-term.
- Towing Equipment: U-Haul has towing equipment available for rent to haul vehicles or other items.
- U-Box Moving Containers: These are portable storage containers that can be used for moving or storage purposes.
- U-Haul Trailer Rentals: Apart from trucks, they also rent out trailers for transporting goods.
These services complement their primary truck rental and labor offerings, providing a more comprehensive solution for various moving and storage needs.
What are some tips for moving with U-Haul?
Here are detailed tips for optimizing your move with U-Haul:
- Engage with U-Haul Representatives: Utilize U-Haul’s online chat feature to connect with real people who can address your queries. Access it by clicking “Get rates” on the main page or selecting “Chat live with a moving expert” in the FAQ section. This helps get specific questions answered without committing to a rental or enduring long phone queues.
- Early Morning Scheduling: Aim for early morning pickup when scheduling your U-Haul truck. While it doesn’t guarantee your preferred truck’s availability, it offers flexibility for backup plans in case your initial choice isn’t accessible.
- Consider Moving Containers: Explore moving containers as an alternative to rental trucks, especially for long-distance moves or if you prefer not to drive. These containers can serve as portable storage at your new location, providing a convenient option beyond traditional self-storage units.
- Thoroughly Review Rental Details: Prior to finalizing your rental, meticulously review the terms and conditions. Pay particular attention to aspects like late fees (which U-Haul doesn’t have but may charge for tardiness) and the reservation guarantee (which ensures a reservation but doesn’t guarantee a specific truck).
These strategies go beyond mere cost considerations, enhancing your U-Haul experience by saving time, ensuring clarity, and providing flexible options tailored to your moving needs.