We may earn a commission for purchases through links on our site, Learn more.
Discount Tire operates physical stores where you can shop for tires and get services, while Discount Tire Direct is an online-only store. Both businesses share similarities: they offer a wide variety of tires, guarantee low prices, and provide a Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement.
However, Discount Tire locations offer more services compared to Discount Tire Direct. The comparison below details the differences and similarities between the two, including their tire selections, prices, warranties, guarantees, and available services.
Discount Tire vs. Discount Tire Direct: What’s the difference?
Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct are linked but different businesses. Discount Tire operates physical stores where you can buy products and get your car serviced. On the other hand, Discount Tire Direct is an online retailer that solely operates through the internet and mail orders. Unlike Discount Tire, it doesn’t have any brick-and-mortar stores but has warehouses spread across the US for shipping products.
Discount Tire offers a wide range of tire brands. If they don’t have a particular tire in stock, they can usually order it for you. If you find something on their website but prefer to buy it in-store, you can ask your local Discount Tire if they can order it for you and what extra costs might be involved.
Prices vary based on factors like tire brand and size. You can search for tires priced from $50 to over $250 and wheels from $125 upwards. If you need financing, applying for the Discount Tire Credit Card is an option. Also, keep an eye out for special promotions and rebates on their website.
Discount Tire provides various tire services, although availability might differ by location. It’s best to contact your local store to confirm services offered and their prices. Some available services include wheel repair, tire installation (even if you bought elsewhere), balancing, pressure checks, inspections, and more.
Discount Tire promises to beat any competitor’s lower price (including installation). You can bring in proof of the lower advertised price to your local store or submit it online through their website.
They offer a Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement for purchased tires, covering failures due to defects or road hazards for up to three years. Additionally, their tires come with free road hazard and manufacturer’s warranties where applicable.
If you’re not happy with your purchase, Discount Tire can discuss options like returns, replacements, or refunds. More details about their return policy can be found on their website.
Discount Tire Direct
- Similar product selection to Discount Tire, but sometimes stocks items not found in their stores due to larger warehouse sizes.
- Easy search options by vehicle, size, or brand on their website.
- Prices vary based on tire brand and size, similar to Discount Tire.
- Option to filter results by price.
- Accepts Discount Tire Credit Card and highlights potential savings on their site.
- Primarily assists in finding a local installer via their website.
- Offers free mounting and balancing on tire and wheel packages if they include necessary components (wheels, tires, valve stems/TPMS sensors).
- Tires arrive balanced, ready for installation, but installation needs to be done by yourself or at an installer.
- Commits to beating competitors’ lower prices, including the delivered cost.
- Contact customer service or use the “Found it Lower?” link for price match.
- Offers the same Certificate program as Discount Tire.
- Procedure involves contacting customer service for approval and potentially receiving a new tire or reimbursement for a locally purchased one.
- Allows refunds within 30 days of purchase; requires contacting Discount Tire Direct for arrangements and adhering to their return policy details.
It’s a user-friendly platform with various services focused on facilitating tire purchases and installations while emphasizing competitive pricing and customer satisfaction.
Is Discount Tire Direct the same as Discount Tire?
Discount Tire Direct and Discount Tire are related but not the same. Discount Tire is a brick-and-mortar retailer with stores across the US, offering tire and wheel services.
Discount Tire Direct, on the other hand, operates online and sells tires and wheels directly to customers, without physical stores. Both are under the same parent company but offer their services through different platforms: Discount Tire in-store and Discount Tire Direct online.
Why is it called Discount Tire?
“Discount Tire” got its name from the founder, Bruce Halle. When he started the company, it took a bit of time before he had customers. Halle picked the name “Discount Tire” because he wanted to show people they could find good deals on tires there. He aimed to create a perception that customers could get a fair price or a good bargain when buying tires from his store.
Will Discount Tire install tires purchased elsewhere?
Discount Tire provides free tire inspections for all customers, regardless of where the tires were purchased. This inspection includes checking air pressure. They offer mounting and balancing services for tires that were not bought from Discount Tire, but there’s a fee for this service per tire, which varies depending on the region of the store you visit.
Does Discount Tire air your tires for you?
Discount Tire offers a service called free air check. When you spot their “free air check” sign, you can approach their team, and they’ll gladly fill your tires with air at no cost. Not only do they add air, but they also examine the condition of your tires’ treads without charging you. If you need help or have any queries, you can visit any Discount Tire store, and their friendly staff will ensure you’re looked after.
How long does Discount Tire take to deliver?
Discount Tire typically delivers within 2-4 business days, but the exact timing can vary based on the distribution center used for shipping.
Does Discount Tire Direct have free shipping?
Discount Tire Direct provides free ground shipping for all in-stock tires and wheels within the 48 contiguous states. This means that if you’re in these states, you won’t have to pay anything extra for shipping.
However, if you need your order to arrive faster, like within two days or overnight, during checkout, you’ll see the precise cost for these expedited shipping options. So, standard ground shipping is free, but quicker delivery methods come with their own calculated shipping costs.
The bottom line: What’s the difference between Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct?
The comparison between Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct breaks down like this:
- Company: Offers a large selection of tires and can special-order if needed.
- Pricing: Prices are comparable and they have a credit card option for discounts.
- Services: Provides various services like alloy wheel and flat repair, heat cycling, installation, road force balancing, rotation and balance, tire inspection and air pressure checks, TPMS, winter changeover, and studding.
- Low Price Guarantees: Will match a competitor’s lower price.
- Warranties: Offers a certificate for repair, refund, or replacement, free road hazard warranty, and manufacturer’s warranty.
- Return Policies: Handles returns on a case-by-case basis with no specific time limit.
Discount Tire Direct:
- Company: Has a slightly larger online selection.
- Pricing: Similar pricing structure and accepts the Discount Tire Credit Card.
- Services: Provides free mounting and balancing before delivery.
- Low Price Guarantees: Matches a competitor’s lower price.
- Warranties: Offers a certificate for repair, refund, or replacement.
- Return Policies: Accepts returns for a refund within 30 days of purchase.